The earliest electric operation on the Milwaukee Road began in the summer of 1915, when switcher 10000 went into service in the yard at Great Falls, Mont. The small 1,500 volt D.C. switching operation was installed primarily to abate noise and smoke over a four-mile section of track which ran through the town’s main business district. Its use was discontinued about 1937.
from "A Proud Era Passes"
Prepared by The Public Relations Department of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Company as a special supplement to the July-August 1973 issue of The Milwaukee Road Magazine