The substation and residences at Drexel, Mont. are shown as they looked shortly after their construction in 1916. Twenty-two such installations were built along the electrified portion of track to convert the 100,000 volt A.C. delivered by the power companies to the 3,000 volt D.C. required for electrified operations.
from "A Proud Era Passes"
Prepared by The Public Relations Department of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad Company as a special supplement to the July-August 1973 issue of The Milwaukee Road Magazine